Powered By Blogger

Sunday, November 26, 2017

She's Golden

Hi it's me.....Murphy!   It has been a long time since I've posted on my blog.   But my Forever Human is going to post her writing assignment.   This post is about someone very special.   This special human gets two paws up from me!!  




   Okay, I'm going to write about someone who isn't considered "famous" but is treasured by many people. She has done many amazing things in her life that make a difference in the world. Consider her an Angel of the dog world. Jessie Pickard. Lets first talk about Jessie's life. She lives in Northern Virginia with her husband, Dan. Jessie owns three wonderful, cuddly, fluffy, Golden Retrievers! We will get to them later. Now, when she was growing up she loved (and owned) many special dogs. A little heart-warming note from her, and I quote "My family always had dogs as I was growing up but the first one I ever adopted on my own was when I was in college, I was about 20 years old. She was an 11 month old Golden Retriever named Annie. She will always be my heart dog and is the reason I started direct rescue." Aww, how sweet!  Turns out Jessie  had fostered more than 30 dogs before Annie turned 17!!

    She started fostering dogs for a association called Sooner Golden Retriever Rescue (SGGR) when she lived in Oklahoma, right after she adopted Annie in 1995. When she moved to Maryland in 1999, she began working with Golden Retriever Rescue and Training (GRREAT). Jessie became their adoption coordinator that same year, so she was their coordinator for about 18 years. I asked Jessie if she has help working with dogs with disabilities (another great thing she does, wow :D). She told me there is a lot of people who care, and that she works with several of them, including Dan (her husband). Jessie also works with many special vets, such as: chiropractors, acupuncturists, and ophthalmologists. They also have a "Vet Tech" who helps take care of the pets mid-day. As me and Murphy know Jessie coordinates the Swim Club where dogs come out to swim and dive.   

  So, I bet you were waiting to hear about her dogs, yeah I'm exited to write about them.   She has 3 Golden poofs..... Molly, Stevie, and my love bug Odie. Molly is a little stinker, if you can quickly grab her favorite blue or pink swim bumper, consider yourself lucky. Molly is paralyzed in her two back legs, but that doesn't stop the dog version of sonic. Molly fights through her leg issue like a champ, as does Jessie taking care of her. She's also a model, OO LA LA! Then there's Stevie, my nickname for her "Boop." Stevie is a cute, bubbly, Golden. She is blind, but that doesn't take away from her loving personality or her ability to swim!  Then there's my love bug, Odie. He is a handsome red-gold Golden. With a spunky personality.  He was surrendered by previous owners.  Odie couldn't be in a better home with the Pickard's.   Odie despises cats, I mean like really dislikes cats. But he loves me.   (insert smile) 

  Jessie is my inspiration.... but who is hers? Well, she said her inspiration has always been her mother. I quote "Her worth ethic combined with her kindness and fun-loving personality are how I want to live my life." You can check that off your bucket list Jessie, you turned out to be exactly that!  But like me, she also gets inspired by the small acts of kindness other people show.

  A Genie asked Jessie if she had one wish....what would that wish be?! (me being the Genie of course)  Jessie's Wish: That people would act the same way they talk.  I feel the same way. Here's what she told me "It's easy to say you're outraged by cruelty, or feel pity for a hurt or neglected animal or praise that someone volunteers, but I wish someone would actually do something about it."  Just so you know, there are so, so, many ways to help donate, volunteer, participate or be an advocate. 

 Of course, like many people, she despises seeing cruelty, neglect, or willful ignorance. The thing about her job is she has to push through her emotions, because her job is to stop these things! She says the best parts of her job are "seeing the light and happiness in a rescued dog's eyes and being a part of the reason they are thriving, especially those dogs that have bigger challenges than most." Another reason is her being a part of a community of amazing people. Basically everyone who works with her!
 
  Well, what did we learn today? I told you all about someone who I admire, but why? Humans often look up to people who have special talents and skills. But, when you think about it, some people are doing things that impact the world, and they aren't acknowledge enough. I feel like that's not fair, and we should appreciate people like Jessie. Tell Murphy if you want to see more posts like this one and have a pawesome day.  ~Forever Human
Isn't Odie so handsome in his blue swim towel turtleneck!

Miss Molly rolling in the grass after swim club!

Here I am with Jessie and Stevie!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment